Local 4-H asking for donations as month-long food drive nears end
Published: Feb. 20, 2023 at 5:34 PM EST|Updated: Mar. 27, 2023 at 8:35 AM EDT
WILMINGTON, N.C. (WECT) - New Hanover County 4-H is asking for community donations for its third annual Caring Hearts, Helping Hands project throughout March.
Last year, the group collected over 1,000 pounds of non-perishable items to benefit the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina.
Throughout the month, you can drop off donations at:
- N.C. Cooperative Extension of New Hanover County 6206 Oleander Drive, Wilmington
- Lowes Foods at Monkey Junction 5309 Carolina Beach Road #1, Wilmington
- Tad’s Barber Shop 4007 Oleander Drive, Wilmington
- New Hanover County Library Pleasure Island Branch 1401 N Lake Park Blvd #72, Carolina Beach
- Pine Valley Branch 3802 College Road, Wilmington
- Northeast (Military Cutoff) Branch 1241 Military Cutoff Road, Wilmington
- Main Branch 201 Chestnut Street, Wilmington
Accepted donations include:
- Canned fruits, veggies, meat, beans and soup,
- Cereal, whole grain pasta and rice, and peanut butter,
- Hygiene items (soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc.), household items and paper products (toilet paper and paper towels),
- Diapers, wipes, Pedialyte, infant cereal, fruit cups, granola bars, mac and cheese cups, crackers, and juice boxes,
- Nutritional shakes and drinks and adult hygiene products.
Pop top cans and microwavable cups are preferred, as are foods with low sodium, low trans fat and no sugar. No glass is accepted.
You can learn more about the event on the 4-H website.
Copyright 2023 WECT. All rights reserved.